Polly’s field trip report – part 1

“Hey Karthik…these are details of the engineering awareness that happened on Saturday… I myself am not an engineering student so dont know how much I  understand but wateva i did get im tellin u…”

We started of at St. Mary’s Kacherypady by 2:15.There was some delay in their getting there. During this time they distributed diwali ladoos to the kids and had a small-icebreaker by making them sing etc.

They started off with the class soon.The class was taken by IEEE which is a group of engineering colleges*.They began with an introduction to engineering and the different types of engineering and the scope of engineering.Some kids seem interested in civil but most said SOFTWARE!!

Before moving onto a powerpoint presentation they explained what a resistor, capacitor, breadboard etc. was.They also showed kids real live models of all these and also pics of where they’re used in the lab using the projector.

A full half hour was spent explaining to each kids what all of this was.None of them seemed hesitant to ask doubts or questions.

After the class, a live demonstration of one of their projects, a race-car was shown to the kids.It had everythin from a capacitor to a resistor.It also had sensors that prevented it from running into obstacles in the way.

A small memory test followed and I’m happy to say that the kids aced it!!The ones who scored 100% were given chocolates as prizes by the IEEE volunteers.

MAD was represented by Xavier, Aswathy and me.

The convent also gave us tea and snacks!!

DSC01262 DSC01278 DSC01286 DSC01295 DSC01304 DSC01306 DSC01310

Comments

1. Paul says

dude!!this was a rough draft!!you were supposed to make something out of it n then put it up!!this is not what i meant when i said we’ll send you material and you put placements activities up on the blog!!

2. Paul says

“It was a very productive and fun day and I’m sure the kids learned much more about engineering than all of us have from school!!”

Haha !!!

Haha !!!

5. Blesson says

Technically, you don’t really learn engineering from school. You do that in college. :P

Paul’s reporting apart, :P I guess it was an awesome experience! :)

6. Blesson says

Paul’s reporting apart, :P I guess it was an awesome experience! :)

7. Paul says

i dint say learning engineering in school…i said learning about engineering…read!!n this is not Paul’s reporting….this is Karthik being too lazy to make it into a post before actually putting it up!!

8. Paul says

9. Paul says

n Karthik if this is what you plan to do everytime I send you points about what happened, for a palcements post, I’d rather you didn’t do the post.

10. Paul says

11. karthik says

dude !! read the whole thing !! the mail fits….besides y do u call full written sentences as points ??

and besides again, i have always been maintaining the people who accompany the kids to these trip must write rather than passin the buck..! look at my nio post for instance.

12. karthik says

13. Jude says

Getting kids introduced to resistors,sensors etc at this age is worthy of applause.I saw them only in college.Thumbs to the people behind the venture

And a small correction. IEEE stands for Institute for Electrical and Electronic Engineers and its not a group of engineering colleges

14. Jude says