Where is the difference?

I take classes on Saturdays at around 10.30. So if you see Andheri station at that time of the day, you can hardly see 2 inches in front of you due to the crowd. But today, I decided to go for the class before mine which starts at 8am and voila, the place was emptier in usual.

Today, I saw all that I missed when I usual took the same route. I saw children, around the same age of the children that I teach sleeping of the footpath. I saw them drunk and probably high on whitener or nail polish remover. I first felt disgusted, not at the children, but at the people walking around them. To people who believed or rather liked to believe that such children are invisible.

I have been restless all day. I took class, my children made me feel happy. I felt like I was doing something. I was making a contribution. But today, I was just reminded of the long road we have in front of us.

I am very proud to be at MAD because somewhere I believe that there will be one such day when I can walk out and see no child begging. Till that day comes, I hope I remain restless and eager to do something. I hope we can never be comfortable until we have achieved that goal we have all set out to do.

Comments

1. harsha says

This post reminded me of my initial days in Mumbai when i used to feel bad at the pitiable condition of the slum dwellers,the kids who begged with tiny babies at huge traffic signals and slowly got used to everything.

Anyway we do our best and leave the rest :)

2. harsha says

Anyway we do our best and leave the rest :)

3. remitha says

i know… i really cant believe that this phase has been on since i can remember… when will people ever change!!!….

4. remitha says

I still don’t know what to do when the kids come begging, you can’t pay them coz then you are just worsening the situation …but not doing anything isn’t a great option either. In the end…from a short term perspective we are really helpless i guess.. tht sucks

Totally, I feel like a jerk when I tell kids that I’m not giving them anything. But giving something is pushing them harder into the pit. Can’t see a way out. Short term that is. :)

9. Rashi says

Sigh! I dont know what to do. Its so uncomfortable. Especially since my kids are of the same age…

10. Rashi says

11. manju says

Jithin and Jithin, aren’t there organisations that take these kids in, can’t you enquire about the parents to these kids? i don’t get why that wouldn’t be practical? just wondering…

Amen to what Rashi wishes!

12. manju says

Amen to what Rashi wishes!