The Last Day at the YMCA.

{Note : I’ve always asked people to focus more on events and happenings while writing on this blog. But yet, here I’m breaking all the rules I set for myself and everybody else.. Can’t help it though.. If I have to leave, can’t leave without saying Goodbye to the blog.. :) Post content follows..}

Around this time last year, braving the rains, I set out on my bike to that place they call Thrikkakara.. I had never known any place in Cochin (or anywhere for that matter), and getting there was an ardent task in itself.. But I did manage to find it.. In fact, I got there early.. Half an hour early for my first MAD class at YMCA, Thrikkakara.. I waited for ten minutes, called Sibi, who I’d never met, and who had only just got out of his hostel, and then decided that I’d just go in for myself and look around..

This year, last week, in fact, I took the same journey once again, for the last time in, well, who knows.. The bike was the same, the rains were still there, as were the potholes and I still didn’t have a raincoat.. But the person undertaking the journey, the people who he’d see there and what the entire idea meant to him had undergone sweeping changes..

Last Friday was my last day at the YMCA.. Seeing Polly and Kaddy’s class, I remembered bits and pieces of the embers of a great year.. The Onam, the HG camp, the Christmas, VYB all that..

I remembered how it all used to be when I first got there.. YMCA, the place where MAD had started off, had somehow been given the dubious title of MAD outpost.. But in the course of a year it had changed.. There seemed to be renewed life on their faces… Whatever we did during that year seemed to have worked, we had made a difference!

I remembered how a sceptic had once asked on this very blog, why he needed to be part of an organization if he wanted to do some good.. He claimed he could do a way better job if he just went some place and did it..

Standing where I am, looking back, I can see how wrong he was… The people who you stand alongside with, and who you draw strength from, is as important a thing as the statement you make.. Seeing Polly, Kaddy, Gautam, Vijay and Rubiya take class, I couldn’t be more sure of the fact that the statement we were making was as strong as anything anybody else had ever attempted..

I remembered, vaguely, what it was to be Jithin J Krishnan, Second year English student, SH College.. And then I felt what it was to be Jithin “Jr.” Krishnan, English and PR volunteer, M.A.D; and immediately felt a surge of pride somewhere deep within myself..

Friday was supposed to be like any other class.. And there I was, lost in my own thoughts, thinking this was going to be just like any other day.. But apparently, others had other ideas!

As parting gift, my kids gave me a scrapbook where each one had took a page for his own and had filled it with a drawing and a message to me..

DSC01525

There were all sorts of drawings; what from caricatures of me to birds; imaginary conversations describing my return, flowers and all that.. Walking away, turning around, still waving to the kids who stood outside, risking the grave displeasure of the warden, I was thinking to myself that I had to come back here someday, somehow..

DSC01526

I had always figured that the VYB Camp T shirt would be proudest possession ever.. Well, it just got relegated into second place.. !

DSC01516

Comments

1. Paul says

I’m gona miss you tallman!!
    Have a rockin time at Chennai!!
    All the best!!!

2. Paul says

I’m gona miss you tallman!!
    Have a rockin time at Chennai!!
    All the best!!!

3. shahnaz says

What a beautiful gesture by the kids. You have done a wonderful job with them so far. All the best for a great future ahead ! We will miss you :)

4. shahnaz says

5. rose says

sigh jr.
    i know exactly what u went thru..and i know wat u shall go thru too …
    even when you are swamped with assignments , friday evenings ..u r soo soo gonna miss your kids

6. rose says

sigh jr.
    i know exactly what u went thru..and i know wat u shall go thru too …

I was thinking maybe you could write a poem about this? Jokes apart, you shall be missed that I can say for sure. And you arent going far away. Trust me, you shall be back!

A few words – I should have said this yesterday.

Jr is by far the most halcyon person I’ve met in my life, he’s shown me the right path whenever I deviated and even walked on my lines, just to support what I’m thinking, which, maybe right or wrong, so many times over the past eight months that if I had to account for it I’d owe almost everything in my MAD life to him. I wouldn’t have thought of tweeting or blogging if it wasn’t for him. He is the simplest person I know and I’m still to meet someone with the same vigour he shares with everyone. The way he thinks and puts a point of view, makes you feel blessed almost to know him. This shaped into both of us ending a debate with the same conclusions. I raise my glass (of port wine, not champagne) and thank MAD to made us cross paths and gave me the chance to know him, befriend him, feel the zeal and share the MAD life on the path of our friendship.

A few words – I should have said this yesterday.

11. jude says

For me u had always been a senior,
    More than a slacker,
    But not jus a mere swagger.

Bon Voyage Junior.
    May success be urs in this venture,
    And may u spread d light within in clusters. [:)]

12. jude says

For me u had always been a senior,
    More than a slacker,
    But not jus a mere swagger.

Bon Voyage Junior.
    May success be urs in this venture,
    And may u spread d light within in clusters. [:)]

13. natasha says

Congratulations for making it to ACJ….n all te very best to u Jr……:)

14. natasha says

Congratulations for making it to ACJ….n all te very best to u Jr……:)

15. Rakesh says

I guess its time for jr to be sr….Move on bro….

u have set a benchmark….

U wil be missed !!!!!

16. Rakesh says

I guess its time for jr to be sr….Move on bro….

u have set a benchmark….

U wil be missed !!!!!

Am I glad, he’s leaving? Oh yes, I’m!! Next time I come to Kochi there wont be anyone running into every picture I’m to stand beside me.

My my.. I’m blown away by the responses..

Thanks everybody.. And Kola ji, I’m somehow still gonna make it to every MAD event I can. Bua ha ha ha :D

Kaddy, buddy, nothing to say to you right now coz I’m kinda speechless and overwhelmed..!

Rakesh, bro, Not gonna happen!! Jr will always be Jr.. It’s not what the name implies, but what the name is known for that matters after all! :D

Rosey, (sigh) yes, but all of us have to move on some time or the other after all..

Though, it’s not like I’m leaving.. And Sr be warned, you’ll get your ass kicked if you say shit like ‘You might leave MAD, but MAD never leaves you’ to me… I mean, trust me, I’ll do it, no matter how many intimidating tattoos you got from Boston :P

My my.. I’m blown away by the responses..