I CONFESS

I recently received a mail from someone conducting a study asking me for my motivation in joining MAD. It’s a difficult question to answer, mainly because my motivation was not idealism, most definitely not. And each time I attend a MAD gathering and see all the bright-eyed volunteers, all charged up about changing the world I feel even more squeamish about my reasons for joining. But that’s enough indulgence in my sense of guilt and time to go back to where it all began.

I had just moved to Kochi from Bangalore and having contacted MAD through Sabarish, I happened to meet Jithin (ex-Prez) at the Palluruthy orphanage. Jithin then proceeded to enlighten me on the fact that “MAD was a youth organisation where  older people wouldn’t fit in. We’ve had bad experiences with older volunteers who give us too much gyan and constantly criticise us. So we want only young volunteers.” Charming! It’s the kind of conversation that the Roadies anchors have with the contestants. (Later, I found out that there was an actual age bar to joining. Jeez! Talk about paranoid)

I figured that if everyone at MAD was as bizarre as the President(why else would he be their representative?), this organization could be an endless source of mirth and entertainment in the new town.

So, despite the brush-off, my kids and I would arrive at Palluruthy every Sunday to interact with the kids. And almost the first thing I realised was that the rest of the volunteers were completely reasonable human beings and were unlikely to provide me with any fodder for personal amusement.

Instead, I was increasingly taken up by the idealism of the MAD volunteers who amazed me with the huge amounts of time and energy that they devoted to this cause. Their patience and optimism was awe-inspiring and contagious. And as for the kids- they were vibrant little fellows, full of spunk and opinions. It was difficult not to fall in love with them even while they were shredding your class to bits and beating each other half to death (rather professionally) over little disagreements.

And so it’s been going  on for two years now – a lot of hard work and a little progress. Learning much more than teaching. In fact, the reason that I have stayed on is also probably not very honorable –   because I get back much more than I give.

So, the confession was not as difficult as I thought it would be. But the problem still remains – what shall I give as my motivation in the survey?

Comments

hehe !! I should have never let you in Ma’am. About your Motivation..Good luck with that… don’t think anybody in MAD has got a clarity on their own motivation !!

He he yeah.. I joined coz I was pretty much jobless.. Not quite sure what all combine to keep my MAD life going.. :) It’s the right mix of the kids, the volunteers, and a bit of youth idealism I suppose..

And hey, I though, MAD was a youth volunteer network, in the sense that MADdies were ‘young at heart’!! :D

5. Rocky says

:) this is a nice post….. a thing i am sure most of the maddies have thought about at one point of time…… MAD is a whole lot of fun in addition to being an “NGO” … and yes…. you do get more than you give…. :D

6. Rocky says

7. Pooja says

hehe young at heart !!

Yes mad is an NGO filled with fun , but im sure like jithin said during the process training, you really need to work alot to really find that fun !!

and Archana ma’am i have the perfect answer for your question ” to feel the lightness of life when work or life gives u too much pressure ”
    :P

8. Pooja says

hehe young at heart !!

:P

9. sumesh says

I’m glad every ones going with the “young at heart” funda….cos Maam…every one is growing older every second and thats something we cant ever change..so why waste time thinking about something we cant change and use that much time and more on something we can do-M.A.D !!
    And as far as why I joined MAD, I think you pretty much answered each and every MAD members thought bout this and I quote -“In fact, the reason that I have stayed on is also probably not very honorable – because I get back much more than I give.”

10. sumesh says