The Journey so far

3 years ago when I got recruited as a volunteer of MAD, Jithin asked me where I would like to be assigned. The was a variety of choices for me . Then he mentioned Holy Ghost, Aluva and how this convent was in immediate need of volunteers. Aluva , for many seemed like a galaxy far away, and most volunteers never go that far. Distance never stopped Rizwana and me. And thus we became part of Holy ghost.

In MAD, Holy Ghost always had to deal with many exceptional scenarios.

It’s a MAD rule that no intern take a class. Well, I’ve never been an intern!(and I long to be one).

My first day, I was asked to teach 20 highly spirited children. It was Hard, but as they say, Hard work always pays off. I enjoyed every single class I have taken from then. I remember the Saturday meeting when Jithin proudly announced that the volunteer: student ratio had come down to 1:10 in every orphanage and how my hand shot up in air. He responded by correcting the statement “ The volunteer student ratio is 1:10 except at Holy Ghost”.

Then there was also the fact the every orphanage had classes twice a week except Holy Ghost. Earlier I used to sit and complain about the unfairness showed to Holy Ghost. But now my outlook has changed. I learned to say “ So what if we only have class once a week .When I take a class it would be the best!”

As Mad grew, so did Holy Ghost. From a position where we were struggling to get volunteers or organizing a class to a place where we have 7 committed volunteers and 5 hi-tech classes. (Hi-tech because me n Rizwana use our laptops to teach the kids).

Holy ghost has finally made a mark in Mad and, we are having our first ever MAD camp this month! This journey was not so easy though.

Earlier we had the motive to give them a better a life by teaching them English. We didn’t knw how to teach them English. There were classes where I dint know what I was trying to accomplish. I have to thank the people responsible for bringing out the syllabus and the TTF trainings. Now I can sail smoothly through each class. And feel proud that I have achieved something .

During earlier days, getting to holy ghost was a struggle .You had to take 2buses- One to Aluva and one from Aluva to Paravoor ,and then a walk to the convent. I have seen volunteers complaining about the distance to Aluva.

This year ,thanks to my loving parents, I got a car . Now no one can complain about the distance. The car journey to and from Aluva became the volunteers special time to bond and discuss about how the class went. This is the time when Harsha get to irritate me and I retaliate by threating her to drop her in the middle of nowhere. ( which I havent done so far but cant wait to happen … hahaha!!!!! hehe..)

If anyone asks me what is that makes me keep going to Aluva every Sunday, the answer is the same as any other MAD volunteer .. it’s the children!

As time passes their love for us keeps growing and we get attached more and more.. In Holy Ghost. the girls notice everything little about us. They shower us with compliments when we look good. And we make it a point to look pleasant because it matters to them.

What’s most amazing about our children is their zest for knowledge. There are like magnets attracted to knowledge. The more you talk to them about the ways of the world, the merrier they are. I have had classes where I gave them information about coma, surgeries to debates on complexion being the basis of love. Every single one of them will always hold a special place in our hearts. They have taught me more than I have taught them. They taught me to hold my head high and smile through every adversity thrown by life.

What a great journey it had been . To put it shortly, as quoted by my fellow volunteers Harsha , Reshmi and Natasha “ In the beginning holy ghost was like a snow flake, then it became a snow ball and now its an Avalanche!!!” ;)

1422351

Comments

1. harsha says

feb!!! awesome write-up!! doesnt matter if u plan to throw me out of the car or nrt ill remain the same!!

neva thght ud put up da comment made by us…..sweet :)

2. harsha says

neva thght ud put up da comment made by us…..sweet :)

3. Jithin says

Holy ghost is an orphanage with a vivid history..back whn MAD started we didn’t have so many ppl interested in us…so for the few who showed interest we were ready to do anything for…its in a time like this a final year engineering student from aluva came to one of our training sessions and said that she really wants to teach and if we could set up an orphanage in aluva, she would be able to take it up. So with her and one another volunteer we first kicked of Holy ghost…our third orphanage after YMCA and St Mary’s if I am not mistaken.
    The problems started just two weeks after we started as the student for whom we started holy ghost in the first place decided to quit as she got placed in Infosys…from then things only got worse…we went to uc college for recruitment only for holy ghost but nothing really happened..the few people who did agree to go all the way there were so cut of from the whole of mad because of the distance that few ppl knew we had such an orphanage…invigilators seldom went there..to be honest Holy ghost for quite a long time was something that I thought was a big mistake I did in MAD
    But then slowly things started changing…Natasha and Febin came into the pic and started takin initiative…the rest is history..today just go through the blog and the community and holy ghost is the most talked about orphanage in the whole of MAD. And this I believe simply shows the influence an orphanage head and its volunteers have on an orphanage. Distance, lack of volunteers nothing can come your way ..if you really want to give more to your kids…Holy Ghost…The Biggest Tribute in MAD to Initiative.. Proud of you girls :)

4. Jithin says

Everybody’s up at night I see.. :)

And yeah, that’s another Mad story told.. I’m glad…
    I guess though, Mad has it’s own story, and it’s own evolution, each volunteer brings another story and another experience, and another way to look at life @ Mad..

Mad volunteers : We tell Mad stories.. :)

Everybody’s up at night I see.. :)

And yeah, that’s another Mad story told.. I’m glad…

Mad volunteers : We tell Mad stories.. :)

7. feb says

we couldnt have done any f this without our presi! even wen times were bad he stood by us and was constantly supporting us. Now the most amazing part is tht every single volunteer Holy ghost has is committed to what they do. I am so proud of the Holy ghost gals!!! V ROCK !!

8. feb says

9. harsha says

cheers to the very efficient the president, the orphanage head and us(the volunteers of holy ghost)…i feel so proud!!

10. harsha says

11. natasha says

i m just smiling rite now……..! n hey febin all my love to u dear! tats lik te perfect post on HG(past & present) n nobody could hav done it better!
    way to go TEAM HG!