Word Power Made Easy

This book was recommended to me by a friend in the USA. Its a great book to improve vocabulary because it makes the process of learning new words really simple. The book can be read like reading a novel. The most important aspect of this book is that you dont have to keep a dictionary with you. This is an image I got from the Internet, but the one with me has a red cover page.

word power made easy

The book uses etymology to teach new words easily. Etymology is the science of words. I never knew there is a science behind words. (literature students please excuse, I am from a tech background and I really hated literature in my school days. ). Its like mathematics, most English words are combinations of words from Greek and Latin. Learn the root words and you can make out most of the words that are derived from it.

Check these words

• Astronomer
  • Astrologer
  • Astronaut
  • Cosmonaut
  • Disaster
  • Autonomy

These are words derived from the combination of the following words.

• Astron – star
  • Nomos – Arrangement, law or order
  • Logos – Science
  • Nautes – Sailor
  • Auto – Self
  • Dis – Against

See the relationship between the words. Many words can be created out of various combinations. This is just a preview. There are many other techniques. Go buy the book. Its costs only Rs 95.

Comments

Ahem, as a literature student, I have to say I knew that.. And, I will, probably coz I don’t expect anyone to question me.. :) Though, tried buying the book, didn’t get it… Will have to search wider I suppose…
    And, you’re right bro, this will help the kids remember words better, which is one thing I find my kids are really bad at..
    So, thanks for the tip… :)

So, thanks for the tip… :)

3. kenney says

I am from an engineering background (which is no excuse for bad language skills) and I was not aware of much of the science involved in English.

I am not sure if this is suited for the kids, but its definitely suited for the teachers.

5. Daniel Grimmer says

Does not know where you’re living Jr. It’s even available with pavement book sellers in Bangalore, Chennia, etc. Try railway book sellers. They stock it.

6. Daniel Grimmer says

One of my favorites I bought in the 80s. A great and easy tool for vocabulary building. The new, revised and expanded version is excellent! An ancient Proverbs (18:21) says: What you say (your words) can mean life or death.Those who speak with care will be rewarded. NCV