Is That Some Good V.Y.B?? :D

One simple question :

What do Valsalyabhavan(V), YMCA Poor Boys Home(Y) and Balbhavan(B) have in common??

Besides the fact that they’re all really small centers that MAD works at, well, I’m pretty sure they are different.. Two of these accommodate boys, the other for girls, different managements, different backgrounds, different settings..

Small, they may be, but on the closing weekend of May, the world found out that, no matter how small, or how far away from each other, or how distant from the epicenter of anything you are:  Together, you Make A Difference!

Behold, MAD’s first ever mixed camp : The VYB Camp!

VYB CAMP

I had started thinking of this camp sometime in February.. Yes, February.. Why dint it happen sometime then? Oh well, Sanju, Sumesh, Paul, Aparna, Saju, Jonva, Shahnaz, Varkey and Co (I’m really bad at names, sure I left out quite a few) were not running around then doing the necessary, while I sat around jobless, pretending to be Camp Coordinator while covertly outsourcing all my work! :D

First Day : Sometime after 7 am..

We’re running behind schedule a bit.. The camp was supposed to begin at 7, but the kids haven’t arrived yet.. I’m apprehensive.. Somewhere inside we all are.. We know that mixing boys and girls at a camp just might backfire.. They might not talk, they might not be themselves in front of each other, given the backgrounds they come from..

Then I see the bus coming, the kids get down, walk towards the venue.. There is an air of suppressed excitement… Behind my back, I cross my fingers, and put on a smile that comes only with a lot of effort.. It’s time to begin the camp..

They come in, they sit down.. Boys separately, girls separately, with an easy ten feet separating the two groups.. My worries multiply within.. Inside my head : “Keep smiling you idiot.. Don’t look like a chicken being taken to the grave..!”

Art of Living has started.. There is not that much noise.. They’re not even looking at each other.. Oh God! This will probably backfire.. Where can I hide where Niki won’t find me for screwing up her precious Placements Project??

Second Day : Sometime after 9 pm..

We’re all standing outside on the ground… The bus is going to be a bit late, so we sit here and there.. I look around, I see my boys; Aparna’s boys; the Valsalyabhavan girls.. And I see the camp has worked.. They are talking to each other, having fun, enjoying each other’s company.. Yeah, take that Niki.. !! :P

My boys ask me to sing a song, I attempt singing ‘Thank You For Loving Me’.. Invariably I screw it up, and end up with a rendering that’s somewhere between an old floorboard in a haunted house that creaks very loudly and the sound that my bike brakes make when it rains.. But, nobody seems to mind, nor do I! Everybody is in too good a mood…

Man, is this awesomeness or what?? THIS, that moment, IS the V.Y.B Camp… We did it!! Woooohhoooooo!!!

Comments

1. harsha says

u saang jr?? azeera u missed this one out in the top ten reasons! :P
    hey remember ranjini’s session where she was talking about the same?..maybe that helped them! n yea the human knot and the other activities where the group members had to mingle with each other!

2. harsha says

u saang jr?? azeera u missed this one out in the top ten reasons! :P

3. Paul says

Mixing them was a great idea!!
    The men and women that these kids have seen may not have been the best role models…

Two things that I hoped we would achieve were:
    1.Eliminating the girls’ fear of guys/men.

2.The guys learning to respect girls/women and treating them with dignity.

Even though there was the initial tension and disregard for the opposite sex,once they got divided into groups and once the games began,all thoughts of differences n disregard were forgotten and they all got together for the much coveted ‘van bumper sammanam’.there was no stopping them after that!!

One of the girls(Satya) was holding my arm,leading me around and asking everyone there to pray for me.One of the nicest things anyones ever done for me.

I’d say…YES,We HAVE made a difference!!

4. Paul says

Mixing them was a great idea!!

Two things that I hoped we would achieve were:
    1.Eliminating the girls’ fear of guys/men.

2.The guys learning to respect girls/women and treating them with dignity.

I’d say…YES,We HAVE made a difference!!

5. meril says

Gawwd, i dont seem to be able to put in anything more than a smiley on the blog comments these days!
    {popular MAD explanation, writer’s block!}

6. meril says

{popular MAD explanation, writer’s block!}

7. natasha says

awesom camp n jr – u sang! ..dint kno u wer a multi-sided genious!

8. natasha says

awesom camp n jr – u sang! ..dint kno u wer a multi-sided genious!

9. Xavier says

Yeah dude..you sang..damn i had to leave early..i know was not there the whole time..but while i was there..must say..it was completely awesome.!! I can only imagine what the ppl who stayed both the days feel..truly rockin camp

10. Xavier says

@ Natasha,
    Of course I’m!! :P

@ Pooja,
    This was at the end of the camp, just before the kids left.. :D

@ Xavi,
    Too bad you Rajagiri guys couldn’t make it.. No worries though, I’ll do an encore at the next camp.. ;)

@ Natasha,
    Of course I’m!! :P

@ Pooja,
    This was at the end of the camp, just before the kids left.. :D

@ Xavi,

@ Harsha,
    Ranjini’s session was pivotal, have to say.. The human knot thing broke half the barriers the kids had..

@ Polly,
    Seeing as it is that the objective was to build team work and leadership, I’d say we did a real good job.. Thanks guys, all of you, for chipping in.. (this is the least i could do) :D

@ Harsha,

@ Polly,

15. rakesh says

U guys r amazin…Way to Go….

Rest of India a standin ovation for MAD cochin

Paulie ma boy u storm me with ur writeups….

16. rakesh says

U guys r amazin…Way to Go….

Rest of India a standin ovation for MAD cochin

Paulie ma boy u storm me with ur writeups….

17. sumesh says

Jr sang and i heard…..take my word for it….he’s pretty good…so next time when there’s a mic around…Jr get ready…cos we all know what to do! :)

18. sumesh says

What in the?? :O Dude, I was horrible!! You’re going to embarass me in front of everybody else eh?? :D But still, I’m a Maddie.. Aint there anything I can’t do.. So, bring on the mic.. I be the singing again!!! :D

Mr. Thunder, thanks for the appreciation ;)

Mr. Thunder, thanks for the appreciation ;)